Powered By Blogger

Monday 6 August 2012

A Darn Good Year ..Episode 2


Immediately she reached down to the tub and dragged her friend out of the pool to the floor, the smell of liquor dominant as all the content had been emptied. She clasped her hand together, closed her eyes for a short moment and began to revive her. Sam awoke from unconsciousness and sneezed continuously as she looked to see her best friend and gave a lame smile.
Now sitting in her bedroom in dry clothes, holding a mug of tea in her shaky palms, Shelly asked “ what has gotten into you”, she gave another lame smile and replied “ I was just trying to have my bath and look better than last year for my dear friend”. Shelly studied her closely, she looked so frail and fragile, the huge circles under her eyes now evident, she flinched suddenly and Shelly asked “the nightmares again” “Yes and I can’t help it, I killed him Shelly, I fed him with silly ideas on true love and Laura since her divorce from that gold digger hardly comes home. I’m left with a husband whose spirit left since Jason died. I and Segun are like strangers in this house and we hardly exchange monosyllables now as he either gives a nod or just ignore me. I feel like a living corpse” now crying she mumbled “It would have been better if I were dead but I lack the courage to kill myself”
“Let it out dear” and Shelly hugged her friend closely,
“It’s not your fault, I should have been here to help, Jason killed himself and that was a cowardly act…..You found true love and married your first love. There is nothing wrong in sharing your experience with your children, Laura refused to see beyond her nose and stubbornly married Thomas. If you asked me she got what she deserved and I hope she is learning from her mistakes now. As for Segun, I hate to say this but he has disappointed me. Ignoring you and treating you like a piece of furniture is not the way to go. You have not failed as a wife and a mother”
Shelly, left some minutes later to attend to an urgent matter but fixed a lunch date with Sam, convincing her that she has to go out and see the beauty of life instead of being enclosed like an Egyptian mummy.
Later in the day, Segun sent a text to her phone saying he won’t be spending the night at home as he has a deal to seal.  Segun had brought another strategy into their cold war that is “see no evil, hear no evil”, he was a senior executive and had every right to be excluded from the so called overnight deal, but he chose the office above her again. Sam gave a sight and was about crying as she hushed herself and shook her head saying “I won’t cry for you, never will I” and she dozed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment